21.5.06

Flexibility No.1

So this is the first benchmark in my flexibility updates. The pictures below are some of the key stretches that need work. (the pillows are to stop friction between my feet and the floor)
Below is a front split, with the left leg leading and right behind. This is my current max.

This is another front split except this time my right leg is leading and left behind. The lack of flexibility caused by my tibial fracture and ripped tendon/hamstring muscle in China is evident in the right leg. After the first month of the injury I was starting to get full extension back, and it has needed a lot of stretching to get this far. It lost about 80% mobility (extension and flexion) for about 1-2 weeks after the injury.

This is a box/chines/side split. I am about 8 inches or so from the floor.

This is just showing hamstring flexibility, ultimate aim is to get head to toes, but im not sure if my body is long enough, otherwise, this is about as far as i can get in this stretch. Just need to progress it through front splits training and other more demanding stretches.

My bridge is diabolical. Its really terrible. My back extension and shoulder flexibility are by far my weakest areas. They need a lot of work. So hopefully with this picture and can look back sometime when i can actually do decent bridges and be happy. Main thing with this is my shoulder flexibility, it really prevents me from pushing out and up.

Ok, so the aim is to post up new flexibility every 1/2 months to track progress. I aim to move beyond this current state of flexibility. At the moment its acceptable for maintenance and for general health, but I would like to achieve full range of motions with my muscular system, so need more training. My main methods of stretching are gentle ballistic (lol contradiction), a little dynamic, PNF, static and passive. I would say I need to practice mostly dynamic and PNF stretching to start making better gains.

  • Very comprehensive stretching info.
  • 3 comments:

    1. Anonymous5:54 PM

      Hi...very nice skills - I think I'll start some training soon but I pretty much lack in a motivation (your site will help here) and a proper diet - can you help me here? What's yo way of eating that you are so strong?!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Anonymous10:49 PM

      Skills on the splits bruv, however your bridges are as bad as Guy's! Try putting your feet on something higher than the floor and then push with your legs to stretch the shoulders.

      I really should stretch more.

      ReplyDelete
    3. haha innit, my bridge is so funny, i may as well lie on my back lol. Thanks for the tip, will try it out.
      Anonymous: erm, basically dont eat crap. I generally try and have a fairly low carb diet, a lot of my food being fruit like apples, bananas, maybe 30% of my diet. And at the moment i am a weetabix fiend, i eat so much of the stuff. Try and eat food that haasnt been changed too much from its original state, the rawer the food, the more nutrients and goodness (for my tummy :) ). Check out the GI index, I try and eat low GI foods, it is a good principle to eat by.

      ReplyDelete